Sustainable protein supply chains
The conventional (i.e. industrial) livestock production system is heavily dependent on unpriced externalities for its continued growth: GHG emissions, deforestation, air and water pollution, low regulatory scrutiny, poor animal welfare, license to operate risks and human health concerns.
Meanwhile, annual global sales of alternative proteins have grown on average 8% a year since 2010, twice the rate of processed meat, offering companies an avenue of growth from a more sustainable food production model.
FAIRR’s collaborative investor engagement on sustainable proteins is supported by 74 institutional investors representing $5.3 trillion in AUM. The engagement asks 25 global food companies to diversify their protein sources to drive growth, increase profitability, reduce risk exposure, and improve their ability to compete and innovate in a resource-constrained world.
Our investor briefing, Plant-based Profits: Investment Risks & Opportunities in Sustainable Food Systems points to global market trends on protein diversification and highlights the key take-aways from our strategic discussions with global retailers and food companies with regard to their consideration of the internal impacts and external risks of the meat and protein products they sell.
- General Mills
- Kraft Heinz Company
- Mondelez International
- Ahold Delhaize
- Costco Wholesale Corporation
- Kroger Company
- Marks & Spencer
- Whole Foods
Additional target companies for August 2018:
- ICA Gruppen
- Conagra Brands
- Groupe Casino
- The Hershey Company
- Kerry Group
The sustainable protein engagement is open to all FAIRR members. There is no cost to joining FAIRR, and member investors benefit from:
- Issue expertise, best practice guidance and cutting-edge research focused on the risks and opportunities in animal protein production.
- Exclusive company-level analysis
- Access to a growing global network of investors.
- Facilitated engagements that allow investors to have direct dialogues with companies supported by progress reports and impact assessments for the duration of the engagement.
- A range of interactive events including panel and roundtable discussions offering multiple opportunities for learning, information-sharing and networking.