Main own plant-based brands
V Taste vegan range and offers plant-based products on own-brand.
- As the fourth largest grocer in the UK, Morrisons has around 12% of the food retail market in the UK.
- Similar to its peers in the retail sector, Morrisons demonstrates a growing portfolio of alternative/plant-based proteins and food products.
- However, given its market size and influence, the company has not been proactive about recognising the risks linked to animal protein production. It does not have any specific sustainable sourcing programmes in place (beyond local sourcing for fresh meat products). We did not find any indication of whether the company plans to undertake a scenario analysis on animal protein supply chains, though they have committed to adopting a science-based target in the future.
- The company has made a strong start by growing an affordable range of plant-based/alternative protein and food products. Further, its healthy eating initiatives include a focus on increasing plant-based ingredients.
- We would encourage Morrisons to continue to broaden its sustainability focus on animal proteins as well as build a more strategic plan to transition its product portfolio (through, for example, category-based targets) to ensure any exposure to animal proteins is in line with a low-carbon strategy.
No comment provided.