In December 2018, Sonic’s acquisition by Inspire Brands was completed, and Sonic’s stock was delisted to become privately owned. This analysis pertains only to the Sonic brand, whose policy on antibiotics continues to lag behind its U.S. peers, many have of whom have committed to going beyond FDA guidance to eliminate medically important antibiotics from their supply chains.
We would encourage Sonic to strengthen its programme by:
- Extending their policy to cover all relevant animal-derived proteins where antibiotics are prevalent, and all suppliers across relevant jurisdictions.
- Extending the scope of their policy to phase out the routine use of all antibiotics and/ or only use antibiotics when there is a disease present and administered by a veterinarian.
- Setting targets and timelines for implementation.
- Committing to third-party audits across all relevant markets and species to ensure supplier compliance.
- Reporting more comprehensively and publicly on implementation progress including antibiotics use. Extend the scope of their policy to phase out the routine use of antibiotics for all species. Report more comprehensively and publicly on their antibiotics use.
No information provided