Full time, permanent
Office-based, London, UK (note: remote working will remain in place until further notice)
Pension Benefit, Private Health Insurance, 25-days paid vacation + public holidays
The FAIRR Initiative is an innovative peer network and we are harnessing the power of capital markets to transform global protein production away from an over-reliance on intensive animal agriculture systems. We produce thematic and individual company research discussing the financial impacts of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, which inform our market-leading collaborative engagements such as the Sustainable Proteins engagement.
We work with over 250 investors representing $38 trillion in combined assets to use their power and influence to help global food companies (retailers, brand manufacturers, livestock, fish and dairy producers) build a more sustainable and equitable global food system.
About the role
We are looking for Food and Technology Specialist in alternative proteins with at least five years of experience. The successful candidate will lead our work in building investor understanding of the alternative protein sector and developing proprietary research and data on food technology start-ups to drive better engagement and investment outcomes in the food sector. This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative and growing organisation that is working to engage the institutional investor community on cutting-edge issues in the area of sustainable food.
- Develop and execute a new workstream focused on food technology, which includes an engagement strategy for alternative protein companies.
- Lead on both company- and industry-level research, with an emphasis on ESG outcomes and financial impacts.
- Monitoring scientific advances in the space, writing blogs/updates and communicating to our investor audiences as well as assisting with queries.
- Expand our internal databases on market data, company activities, investments and technology developments, while serving as FAIRR’s in-house expert for investors and established food companies on the alternative protein sector.
- Develop a deep understanding of business models and the readiness of technologies, including their commercial potential, scalability and path to market.
- Establish relationships with alternative protein companies and ensure that we grow our engagement with them.
- Organise and manage events relating to the alternative protein space.
- Contribute to special projects and other team activities.
- Represent FAIRR at external events and conferences in the responsible investment and food technology space.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g., food science, biochemical engineering, plant molecular biology, plant genetics, crop science) is required; a Master’s degree preferred.
- Functional understanding of the principles, methods, equipment and techniques used in food technology. Previous research experience linked to alternative protein product development and manufacturing is a strong plus.
- Demonstrable experience of interacting and working with senior professionals, along with the ability to engage and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, including an ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines without compromising attention to detail.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills with the ability to perform independent research and analysis.
- Fluency in spoken and written English with the ability to draft written materials to a professional standard with minimal review.
- Advanced skills in Excel (and Microsoft Office products).
- Willingness to occasionally attend conference calls in different time zones outside normal working hours.
Interested applicants should email their CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line, Application: Food & Technology Specialist. Please note that we will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.
As part of the application process, you will be required to provide documentary evidence of your right to work in the UK.